things you should know about Wi-Fi
Wi-Fi is the latest technology allowing wireless connectivity and ease of use. It provides mobility and eliminates the need of wiring. This article will tell you a little about Wi-Fi.
- Michael Marcus was the first one to propose regulations for the spread spectrum. It was initially only released in US before anywhere else. This technology was the inspiration for Wi-Fi, which was introduced in 1991 by NCR/AT&T. it was called WaveLAN and transmitted at 2mbs. Vic Hayes then helped to design the new standards for Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b and 802.11a). Wi-Fi stands for Wireless Fidelity, the name was invented by interbrand corporation, a consultation firm (to sound more ‘catchier’ then the numerical standards).
- Wi-Fi is now so popular that you can find it anywhere, you can easoly pick up signals at hotspots and can be used with numerous devices. It can be found in all sorts of places.
- In some cities such as Corpus Christi, Texas, there are city-wide free Wi-Fi connections.
- It is beneficial because it allows the access to information wirelessly, thus it cuts down the time taken to go around wiring everything sight.
- However it does not come without risks. Firstly it takes up a lot of power, and has a limited range. In addition to that there are security threats as WEP (wired equivalent privacy) can be broken into.